Your Essential Hospital Bag Checklist
It's an exciting time when preparing for your new baby to arrive, and one important job that needs to be done is packing your bag to take with you to hospital. We have complied an Essential Hospital Bag Checklist to help you organise everything you need to take.
This invaluable resource will ensure you have everything you need, for both Mum and baby. We suggest packing enough items for a 3-5 day hospital stay.
- Maternity Pads - a couple of packs
- Maternity Bras - bring three if you plan to breastfeed
- Breast Pads - Ecostork recommends 4-5 pairs of My Little Gumnut reusable breast pads
- Nipple Cream - Ecostork recommends The Physic Garden Nursing Balm
- Comfy casual clothes - think stretchy high waist maternity pants, maternity leggings, loose fitting tees and loose fitting dresses.
- Comfy pyjamas - 2 x loose fitting pyjamas. Look for front opening shirts or nighties if you are planning to breastfeed.
- Robe/Warm Cardigan - for those late night feeds
- Big comfy high waist undies - 6 x comfy cotton undies to use in those first few days. A high waist is important if you have a c-section.
- Socks - grippy socks are a good idea
- Toiletries - all your favourite items. Be sure to include lip balm and face moisturiser as the hospital air con dries out your skin
- Phone and charger
- Healthy Snacks - for during and after the birth.
- Lactation Cookies - if you are planning to breastfeed, these cookies are a must-have. Not only to they assist to boost your milk supply, but they are also filling. Ecostork recommends Franjos Kitchen Breastfeeding Cookies.
- Reusable Water Bottle
- A going home outfit
- 6 x Bodysuits for baby to wear while in hospital. It's better to pack a few depending how long you will be staying in hospital.
- 6 x Singlets - these are important to keep your baby warm
- 2 x Cotton Beanies - these help to keep your baby warm
- 2 x Socks
- 2 x Mittens
- 3 x Muslin Wraps - these multi purpose wraps will come in handy for any new parent
- Cloth Nappies or Eco-friendly Disposable Nappies - a couple of packs. You may go through up to 12 nappies a day.
- Baby Wipes - choose either reusable cloth baby wipes or gentle, fragrance free baby wipes.
- Pacifier - Ecostork recommends a Hevea natural rubber pacifier
- Going home outfit - it's nice to keep aside a comfy outfit for baby to wear home from the hospital. Be sure to have a soft blanket on hand in case it is a cold day.
- Baby car seat - this is a necessity and you won't be able to leave hospital without a baby seat in your car. Be sure to purchase this and have it correctly installed before baby arrives. Most retailers that sell baby seats offer a free service to install the seat into your car.
You can download and print your Essential Hospital Bag Checklist here.